Functional in the small, OO in the large

The most recent episode of Software Engineering Radio is an interview with Luke Hoban, program manager for F#. The interview mentioned the idea of using functional programming in the small and object oriented programming in the large. In other words, individual methods might be implemented using a functional programming paradigm, say in F#, but the code would be bundled into an object for other parts of an application to use. The grand structure would be object oriented, but the small structure would be functional.

I suppose “functional in the small, OO in the large” makes sense, but I could imagine someone arguing for a different way to combine the two approaches to programming. Any thoughts?

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Software development
6 comments on “Functional in the small, OO in the large
  1. nick says:

I feel like this is just an excuse because F# doesn’t have a good module system yet full of functors and stuff. You cannot program in the large and VS (as a whole) is still largely OO. And how good is the garbage collector that it can handle lots of allocations/deallocations necessary for a large functional project?

I guess the main question I see is. Why can’t I program in the large with F#? Currently, I’m getting a reading of: it’s too young and it doesn’t play easily with the rest of the libraries at large and lacks large features. And this makes sense, but that doesn’t mean that it is the ultimate methodology that he intends his F# programmers to use. So, what is the goal of the project? Functional programming in VS only on the small or eventually on the large?

//didn’t listen to the interview –but will shortly–, so if he did go over anything I mentioned, please inform!

2. nick says:

I am having problems downloading the podcast (only see first 14minutes), but I’ll just append my opinions above with the following.

I think my questions still stand, I see some of the goals emerging (Algorithms and Parallelism). But, unlike Luke, I don’t believe OO is a great paradigm in general, and he definitly thinks that it should be how a project is designed –possibly the only way. I haven’t used F# more then just on the small, the little functions and algorithms (the on the small, he talks about), but I am an ocaml programmer and have experience with large projects in ocaml. I agree with him that OO and Functional programing can work together (we do a little bit of OO as well), but I also think that the main design of your project doesn’t have to be OO; a module design can be equally powerful. I think it might be tough for the F# team to operate the current C# libraries with F# due to the immutability/language constraints.

3. Paulo Moura says:

Logtalk uses a similar approach: logic in the small, OO in the large. In this programming language, OO is used basically for code encapsulation and code reuse, two essential features for both logic and functional programming languages when programming in the large.

4. R. Cannibal says:

there’s not exactly about small-large, I believe – rather FP for calculation parts, OO for reactive stateful parts

5. Acaz says:

And if I do otherwise? OO in the small and FP in the large. What I want to say about FP in the large is about orchestrating objects always bringing them to the main program like in FP. Combining small components (OO objects) in a FP way. What you think?

6. Mike says:

Found this post via the newer: http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2012/12/06/top-down-bottom-up/

When I saw your question CLOS leapt to mind. Yes, Once again you can mix it up w/Lisp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Lisp_Object_System It allows for making functions generic (to any of their arg’s class/types)as need me.
    /m
    If I get around to listening to the interview, maybe I’ll have more to say.

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "Functional in the small, OO in the large"
  1. [...] not randomly scattered across your code base. A simple strategy for doing this is to use functional in the small and OO in the large. Clojure also has some very interesting ideas for isolating the stateful parts of a [...]

2. [...] Related post: Functional in the small, OO in the large [...]