PowerShell 2.0 for Windows XP etc.

PowerShell version 2.0 shipped with Windows 7 and with Windows Server 2008 R2, but it only recently became available for other versions of Windows.

The release of PowerShell 2.0 has been more like a leak than a product launch. The announcement page hardly reads like an announcement. The title reads “Description of the Windows Management Framework on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008.” What’s this “Windows Management Framework”? I’ve never heard of that. I just want the new PowerShell. The first time I saw this page was when someone sent me a link saying PowerShell 2.0 was available for XP. I thought they’d sent me the wrong link by mistake because I didn’t see anything about PowerShell at first. Only if you scroll down to the middle of a long page can you see links to download PowerShell.

I expected something more like the following.

PowerShell 2.0 Released

Download for your platform:

Related links:

PowerShell Cookbook
PowerShell Day 1
Regular Expressions in PowerShell
Top 5 PowerShell Gotchas

Posted in PowerShell
13 comments on “PowerShell 2.0 for Windows XP etc.
  1. iHunger says:

I thought the same thing when I looked at that announcement. If it wasn’t for the twitter chatter, and that I REALLY want psh for XP, I might have missed it.

2. Karl Meissner says:

Dont forget. You MUST manually uninstall powershell 1.0 for 2 to install correctly.
    In Add/Remove, click the checkbox “Show Updates” along the top, find Windows Powershell 1.0 and Remove it.

Are you sure? I don’t remember uninstalling version 1.0. Can the installation appear to succeed but not be correct?

4. Karl Meissner says:

Not completely sure I guess. Uninstalling the old version was something your were supposed to do during the CTP. But I did not see that in the release notes of the RTM.

On my machine I had issues when the two powershell version were side by side. My remote desktop permissions stopped working. The issue resolved when I uninstalled 1.0 and installed 2.0.

So maybe it varies with environment….

5. Adam Connor says:

The Windows XP install is bundled with WinRM, which I have no reason to want to install. Boo. Pass.

Adam: That is unfortunate if you want to minimize what you install. But PowerShell is bundled with WinRM because some of the new features in PowerShell 2.0 are implemented using WinRM.

7. User says:

Nice post, thx!

8. Gronkey Kong says:

Where do I download PowerShell 2.0 for Windows XP? The links referred to in this post are no longer valid.

Gronkey Kong: Which link are you having trouble with? I just checked and they seem OK.

10. Gronkey Kong says:

That last post took me to http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2008/12/30/download-windows-powershell.aspx
    which under Windows PowerShell 2.0 CTP3 only has a generic link to http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/default.aspx which did not help me as there are many downloads that contain “PowerShell 2.0″ string and none that contain “Windows PowerShell 2.0 CTP3″.

Bu I see now that your XP link is perfectly valid. At the time I was not expecting a Window Update, but now I know better.

I’m still confused about whether or not I need to uninstall PowerShell 1.0 before running Update for Windows XP (KB968930)
    But I’ll figure it out eventually.

My purpose for PowerShell 2.0 at present is to automate some tasks against a SharePoint 2010 List. I need to change properties/attributes of the SP List normally done manually through browser.

11. Moin says:

Thanks a lot for this information

12. Ousmane says: