The other day on TeXtip, I threw this out:
Imagine if the web had been built on LaTeX instead of HTML …
Here are some of the responses I got:
- It would have been more pretty looking.
- Single tear down the cheek.
- No crap amateurish content because of the steep learning curve, and beautiful rendering … What a dream!
- Shiny math, crappy picture placement: glad it did not!
- Overfull hboxes EVERYWHERE.
- LaTeX would have become bloated, and people would be tweeting about HTML being so much better.
- Noooo! LaTeX would have been “standardised”, “extended” and would by now be a useless pile of complexity.
* * *
For daily tips on LaTeX and typography, follow @TeXtip on Twitter.